What do you like to do when you travel? Would you rather immerse yourself in the history and culture of a foreign country or enjoy the nightlife? Maybe you choose to spend the day relaxing at the spa or hiking and taking in the beauty of nature.
Whatever activity you like, you can do it to your liking in Japan. The island nation has long been a sought-after tourist destination and will welcome more than 2.4 million international visitors in 2023, according to Japan’s official tourism website.
As tourism has surpassed pre-pandemic levels in 2019, Japan has made it easier than ever for international visitors to reach the country. In 2023, an electronic visa for tourist purposes was introduced. The new permit streamlines entry procedures for nationalities that require a visa to enter Japan.
As of November 2022, citizens of the United Arab Emirates no longer need an entry permit to Japan, but for other residents of the Emirates who do, an e-visa is available to apply online. If you are not sure whether you need a visa to visit Japan, you can check the list of countries on the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
Here are some facts about the e-visa and how to apply for it online.
What is the electronic visa for Japan?
The electronic visa is a new system introduced by the Japanese government to facilitate tourism travel. Allows international visitors to submit their applications and documents online. The entire process, from application and payment to issuance, can be done online.
The reason for the visit must be solely touristic. The e-visa does not apply to those traveling to visit family and friends or for business purposes.
Who can apply?
In 2023, Japan published a list of countries whose residents can apply for the electronic tourist visa. The nations are: Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States.
What is the duration for which the visa is issued?
Japan’s short-term e-visa allows foreigners to enter the country for 90 days. It is a single entry visa. It is valid for three months from the date of issue.
How long does it take to issue the visa?
According to the official website of the Japanese embassy in Dubai, the e-visa processing can take about four weeks.
How much does the visa cost?
Single entry visas cost most nationalities Dh80. For Indians, the cost is 20 dirhams. There are some nationalities for which the visa fee is exempt. This list can be found on the Japanese embassy website.
What are the required documents?
You can check the exact documents required for your nationality on the Japanese embassy websites. These are the general documents to gather:
- Emirates ID
- Itinerary with flight details.
- Personal bank statement from UAE bank for the last 3 months
- Certificate of employment, with position and monthly salary.
- Stay and hotel information.
- Document to prove legal residence
How to apply?
- The first step is to verify your documents on the Japan e-visa website.
- You will then be asked to create a username and password.
- Click new registration and complete the application form. You will be asked to fill in your personal details as well as travel information.
- Once you click submit, your request status will be “Temporarily Received.” The application will be reviewed and you may be asked to submit additional documents.
- The next step is payment of the visa fee (if eligible). Once you have paid, you will receive a confirmation.
- You can download the Japan e-visa application and log in to receive your e-visa. This can be shown to the immigration officer or other officials as your Japan visa.
News Source: Khaleej Times