Atlantis Dubai is proud to announce that Atlantida, La Palma and Atlantis Aquaventure each has retained EarthCheck Silver Certification following a rigorous audit of sustainability operational practices. This is the fourth year that both applications have maintained Silver certification status. This year, the teams hope to achieve EarthCheck Gold Certification, an achievement after five years of EarthCheck reporting. Additionally, upon opening in February 2023, Atlantis The Royal will apply for EarthCheck Silver certification for the first time this year.
land control is recognized as the world’s leading scientific benchmarking, certification and business advisory group focused on travel and tourism. It helps businesses, communities and governments assess their environmental footprint, improve sustainability and ultimately improve business performance. The incredible achievements of Atlantis, The Palm and Atlantis Aquaventure reflect Atlantis Dubai’s unwavering commitment to implementing policies in line with the world’s highest standards. ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance).
Atlantis Dubai’s major initiatives include an on-site water bottling plant, food waste reduction technology in all buffet restaurants, 2,178 solar panels on the roofs and a contribution of more than $250,000 to local and international marine conservation from 2021. These practices, implemented at scale, work to position Atlantis Dubai among a select, global group of sustainable tourism operators who are certified to EarthCheck business standards.
Tim KellyPresident of Atlantis Global said:
“Sustainability is a high priority for Atlantis Dubai and maintaining our certification in this field is something we take very seriously. We are incredibly proud to maintain EarthCheck Silver certification for the fourth year and hope to achieve Gold status this year. “This achievement reflects our continued dedication to environmental and social sustainability practices and our commitment to doing business in ways that are good for both people and the planet.”
The EarthCheck certification process is driven by a dedicated team Green Committee, which works tirelessly to report large volumes of data backed with supporting evidence. The Green Committee has representatives from high-impact business units across Atlantis Dubai to drive maximum change.
Atlantis, The Palm and Atlantis Aquaventure were required to submit data for 2022 on waste management, energy and water conservation strategies, and contributions to CSR, among others. With exponential improvements over the years, some of the notable achievements recommended by EarthCheck include:
- Atlantis, The Palm reduced waste to landfills 53.9% in 2022 compared to 2021; This was the result of recycling more than half a ton of cardboard, glass, paper and plastic in 2022.
- 72,000 liters of used cooking oil was recycled into biofuel.
- 100 percent The office paper used at Atlantis, The Palm and Atlantis Aquaventure comes from FSC certified sources.
- On average, more than 80 percent of cleaning products are biodegradable.
- Landscape irrigation systems use a manual moisture measurement system to determine the need for irrigation, allowing for better control of water use.
- Atlantis Aquaventure received a five star rating and recognition as a regional leader in waste recycling practices.
- Atlantis Aquaventure is a Certified Autism Centerthe first in the Middle East and as such is equipped to provide an inclusive experience for people with autism and diverse sensory needs.
- All marine animal experiences are supported by research to determine the educational value of the experiences and guest learnings through pre- and post-experience surveys. These surveys look at knowledge, conservation awareness, and likelihood of being inspired to take action.
- Atlantis, The Palm’s water bottling plant that produces 800 liters of bottled water per hour, has eliminated 2,020,908 single-use plastic bottles for a period of 12 months.
- From June 2022 to June 2023, with the installation of Winnowing technologyan AI-based food waste tracking software, Atlantis, The Palm has eliminated on average 40% of food waste from buffets.
- All Atlantis, The Palm restaurant menus consist of a minimum of five dishes in which the main ingredient is locally sourced, organic and/or certified sustainable.
Atlantis Dubai constantly strives to become a more efficient, effective and responsible organization. EarthCheck’s rigorous certification process is a testament to the destination’s commitment to responsibility while ensuring continuous improvement of operations toward environmental and social sustainability.
To learn more about Atlantis Dubai’s commitment to doing business in ways that benefit both people and the planet, visit: www.atlantis.com/atlasproject.